Bamboo fiber sheets can help with shift work sleep disorder, which happens when your working hours are non-conventional, such as graveyard shift, rotating shift, or split shift. Shift sleep disorder happens because your body’s “biological clock”, known as “circadian rhythm”, is being disrupted. The circadian rhythm is responsible for helping you feel sleepy or awake at fixed hours.
Therefore, you may experience symptoms like drowsiness, lethargy, and insomnia. If shift sleep disorder is not treated, it can also result in depression, moodiness, and trouble with relationships. The good thing is that you can find relief by making certain adjustments to your life, such as reducing the amount of caffeine you drink or using bamboo fiber sheets to increase your level of comfort during bedtime. Let us look at some examples of shift work sleep disorder treatment.
Shift work sleep disorder treatment
There are some adjustments you can make in your life to improve your ability to cope with shift work. Here is a list of lifestyle changes you can make to relieve the symptoms caused by shift work sleep disorder:
- Sleep during the same hours every day, including off days.
- Wear sunglasses when leaving your workplace to minimize sun exposure. When you do this, you can help to prevent your “daytime clock” from activating.
- Do not drink coffee, tea, or other sources of caffeine four hours before bedtime.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Create a dark environment for sleeping. You can use heavy shades or curtains.
- Create a quiet environment for sleeping. Ask family members to reduce noise by using headphones and to avoid doing household chores during your bedtime.
- Create a comfortable environment for sleeping. Use soft bamboo sheets to maximize your comfort. For bamboo sheets Queen is the most popular size, but there are also other size categories available.
- Create a cool environment for sleeping. Your body sleeps better when it is cool. Feeling too hot can result in that moist and sticky feeling associated with sweating.
- Before your work shift, expose your eyes to bright light. It will help to trigger your body to feel more awake.
Shift work sleep disorder medication
We consider lifestyle changes as the preferred route, but some people may consider medication. Melatonin is available over-the-counter and is considered relatively safe. Many people have found that it improves their quality of sleep.
For sedatives such as zolpidem, or eszopiclone, you will need a prescription from your doctor. Be cautious and use these sparingly, though.
You can manage your shift work sleep disorder for a better life
A growing number of people are working non-conventional hours. If you are affected by shift sleep disorder, you can try out the above-mentioned suggestions to improve your sleep quality and live a better life.